Thursday, October 27, 2011

Losing my Balance

So as my religious studies class progresses I have noticed that I have began to study myself and what I believe in. I don’t believe that I am examining my religion per say but I do believe that I have had more introspective thoughts on my core values and morals. We have been researching and examining the Rastafari way of life and culture. This culture has really made me think deeper about the society I live in versus those that I might have, once in my life thought down upon. During class we watched a video on  Bob Marley and why he smokes ganja. What he said really had an impact on me. It wasn’t the part about ganja that really inspired me rather it was his statement on why he gets upset when other people and other societies do not let him live his life in peace. The small subtly of wanting to restrict ganja opened up a door for why should any other culture of societal influence be allowed to enforce provisions or laws that prohibit another cultures attitudes. So with that said it made realize certain aspects of my life have been determined for me before I could even judge whether I like the consequences of the prior. It made me want to think outside of the bubble whether that be the Lawrence bubble, or the social constructions that have been imposed on society due to what I would call a media revolution. Think about it and start making your own decisions and not the ones that would be deemed as normal if that’s not your thang. Peace and love.

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was a good post. I think something people are often afraid to do is step out of the box. Rasta's embrace the philosophy you illustrated and I think that is a very important thing to take away from their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. Nice post :). I've had similar thoughts. One thing I've noticed is that so many people think outside of the box, that sometimes the inside becomes the outside. What I mean is, I have very traditional views where the majority of my friends don't - the box of being open-minded can exclude possibilities just as much as the box of tradition or culture.

    ReplyDelete